I’m fascinated by those old fashioned “big” things that are built for advertising purposes.
They are always so tacky and surreal but they interest me on several levels.
- They always look so roughly made.
- I always find myself thinking about the decision making process that led to them being built.
- They are quite often very ugly.
- I’ve never seen one that is associated with anything that is good.
- They hardly ever look like they get maintained.
They are basically huge 3D billboards and as such I’m reminded of what that old wag Ogden Nash once said; “I think that I shall never see a billboard lovely as a tree. Perhaps, unless the billboards fall, I’ll never see a tree at all”.
In short, “big” things seem to be monuments to the waste of resources and a lack of taste.